The idea of a separation between Product & Service Design in the world of “outcome based services” is out-dated and limiting. In an age where digitization has blurred the boundaries between products and services, a new paradigm is emerging for delivering outcomes. Companies that see service based business models as a key component of their growth strategy must re-think how they innovate and develop these integrated product-service solutions. The idea of design is no longer a term that is used to describe the technical or software delivery of a product as typified by the scope of Design Engineering. It must transcend the aesthetics and usability often seen as the realm of Product Design. It must also include Service Design capabilities that are leading the focus on Customer Experience often using the Design Thinking process. In fact Design must rise above all these disciplines and be the glue that brings together all the different aspects of the solution to deliver a coherent outcome and experience to the customer. This means design becoming the mechanism that drives collaboration and facilitation within the organisation to harness all the stakeholders and capabilities to deliver on a customer’s expectation. Even for companies leading the development of outcome-based services this is a change in thinking. However it is just one of the key mind-set changes that must be achieved if businesses are to successfully shift from products to services. Most businesses are not yet at this level of maturity, so are far from achieving their full potential.
To read the full article by the ISSIP UX Group go to Service in Industry Briefing
Members of the ISSIP UX Group who contributed to this article are:
- Lead Author: Nick Frank, Co-Founder Si2Partners, Service Transformation Consultancy
- Daniela Sangiorgi, Associate Professor, Dipartimento di Design, Politecnico di Milano
- Don Allen, Ph.D., Business Operations Manager, TS APJ & GC Head Office, Cisco Systems, Inc.
- Jung-Joo Lee, Assistant Professor, School of Design and Environment , National University of Singapore (Design for Service Innovation, User Experience Design)
- Leslie Tom , Chief Sustainability Officer , Charles H. Wright Museum of African American History
- Deniz Sayar , Doctoral researcher, Istanbul Technical University
- Valorie Valencia, Founder & CEO , Stellar Research
- Filipe Lima , Doctoral researcher, Politecnico di Milano